Orthodontics for Children in Edmonton and Barrhead, AB
Dr. Pereira prefers that a child's first assessment be when the permanent incisor have erupted. Usually, it happens at seven years of age. At this assessment, we will evaluate whether your child needs early treatment or can wait until adolescence for braces.
What we look for during your child's assessment:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- A hard time chewing or biting food
- Mouth breathing
- Finger or thumb sucking
- Crowded, misplaced, or blocked teeth
- Jaws that pop or make sounds when opening and closing
- Teeth that come together abnormally, or do not come together at all
- Jaws and teeth that are not proportionate to the rest of the face
- Crowded front teeth around age seven or eight
Preventive Orthodontic Treatment
OrthoPlace's focus is preventive orthodontics. Early treatment for children makes room for permanent teeth to erupt with less crowding and allows the jaws to develop naturally. This approach is designed to intercept problems to keep them from becoming worse. Many times, it prevents the need for permanent teeth extractions and jaw surgery when your child is older. Please contact our Edmonton or Barrhead office to schedule an appointment for an orthodontic evaluation. Early treatment now will give your child a healthy, beautiful smile for the future.